Installing and supporting Windows, Linux and mobile operating systems. According to the most recent data available from the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are some 863,100 help desk positions throughout the United States. And that number is expected to increase by 10 percent within the next year. Sign up for a free Dice profile, add your resume, discover great career insights and set your tech career in motion.
- In fact, many companies will hire entry-level technicians as part of their IT support team but then train them to become full managers or directors in charge of managing those same technicians who were once training them.
- Applying for a job as a help desk support technician is easy with Spherion.
- Connect to the external services, tools, plugins, and applications you need for your daily IT support flow by using extensive API documentation.
- Students are also introduced to network protocols, ports, and topologies, as well as customer service concepts like problem-solving, active listening and de-escalation.
- You’ll graduate a confident, highly trained computer support specialist.
- The truth, however, is that the people working for the organization are almost equally responsible for the conditions of their environment.
Common tasks this role works on include sorting and following up with support tickets, diagnosing problems, and guiding customers and clients in the right direction. This involves extensive client-facing interactions throughout the day whether through face-to-face support or over-the-phone guidance. While high-level customer support is the goal, help desk personnel must also be extremely well versed in software and hardware knowledge in order to properly with issues that arise. Technical Support Jobs include roles as Maintenance Engineers, Help Desk Operators or Applications Support Specialists. There are several trainings and certification courses available online that train candidates for these IT Support and customer service positions. These courses provide a solid base and a marketable skill set that learners can use to apply for IT help desk jobs with top employers. Our experts have created this list of best IT Support, Customer Service and Help Desk courses, certifications, trainings and classes that are available online.
Contribute to a Relaxed Environment
So, learners can now earn up to 12 college credits for completing the program. This opens up additional pathways to help learners get the degree they need to move beyond the entry-level job and advance their IT career into more senior, higher-paying positions.
- Rasmussen University is not regulated by the Texas Workforce Commission.
- This customer service course covers industry best practices on collecting ITSM metrics for the purpose of monitoring performance and customer satisfaction in a service-focused environment.
- When a manager looks to hire a help desk person, one trait they look for is your urge to help another person.
- Below are the steps generally required to begin and advance your Helpdesk Technician career.
- A great “foot in the door” to a career in information technology is a position on the help desk .
Respecting your co-workers is also important and helps to foster a positive work how to become a help desk engineer as we talked about earlier. Having good communication skills will help you communicate solutions quickly and effectively and a system like Track-It!
IT Help Desk Courses & Training (LinkedIn – Lynda)
This also implies that you will look to learn more about the business because you will want to help your users. In addition to computer support basics, you learn how to prepare for and pass your CompTIA A+ Certification exam and learn other essential information technology skills.
- Each advanced Helpdesk Technician position requires approximately 2 years of experience at each level to advance in your Helpdesk Technician career path.
- Installing software and troubleshooting PC and mobile device issues, including application and security.
- In a smaller organization, you may have additional responsibilities and report directly to the chief information officer or chief technology officer.
- When looking for a job with an IT help desk, you need to remember that managers are not just looking for someone who can handle massive call spikes and churn through calls as quickly as possible.
- IT certifications will prove that you have the skills to handle the job.
- If there is anything being said here it should be that anyone can pursue IT-related careers, even if they majored in something completely unrelated — especially art-related backgrounds.
Even within one https://remotemode.net//software application, there will always be new releases or products that will make issues easier and more efficient to resolve. And depending on which department you work in, some programs may not even exist yet. Learning how to adapt and overcome those challenges then becomes crucial. In fact, many companies will hire entry-level technicians as part of their IT support team but then train them to become full managers or directors in charge of managing those same technicians who were once training them. Like all roles, additional experience and skills can increase earnings.
Top 10 AWS Training, Certification Courses, Tutorials Online in 2023
Your business is growing, your product is changing, and customers are contacting your customer service team more frequently as your business scales. Before we dig into the truth about working the help desk, you need to understand the basics of this tech role. The main purpose of help desk technicians is to assist customers who need help—which can include more job duties than you might think. Ask the average person on the street and they’d probably agree that entry-level jobs offering $26-plus per hour to someone with no college degree or previous experience all have been outsourced overseas.